Friday, January 25, 2013

.Faery Fiasco

Sometimes, being a parent is just hard.

That, or sometimes I just screw it up.
Or both.

Thankfully I have a wonderful relationship with my kids so if I do anything to scar them, maybe they will forgive me later in professional counselling. ;]


So, as for the title of the post! Ms. Olivia lost her 5th tooth!
[may I interject I don't remember all of my teeth falling out super close together. Then again, I really only remember 2 tooth instances, so apparently the others weren't that exciting]


It's the third tooth she has lost at school.  They come home with them in this cute little "tooth necklace" [not pictured, and you will know why later!].
Well the last lost tooth, Olivia wanted to "clean" it for the tooth faery after I adamently explained she had her own tooth cleaning machine and would take care of it.
"But Mom, she shouldn't touch other people's blood. That's gross and has germs"
Mmk.
You know the story. Small child, running water, teeeeny tiny tooth. Down the drain it went.
And Olivia was crushed.
But she has this fun little ritual of writing to every made up holiday creature [IE: Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Faery..] Each one gets their note, cookies [or a carrot, or a tooth] and those silly creatures continue to write her back on scraps of paper in handwriting that looks nothing like Mom's.
It's a sweet tradition and I cherish it.
So last time she wrote Ms. Faery explaining about her tooth and the drain and gave her directions to find it in which bathroom, etc. It was hilarious. She was soo excited to find her note the next morning with the Faery dictating how fun the drain was to "slide down like a waterslide" and she got the tooth and it's safe and sound and yada yada. She hasn't stopped talking about it.
So this tooth, bless it, was lost on a playdate with their Papa and Brenda.  Brenda wasn't able to bring herself to tell Olivia of said lost tooth [she was in charge of the tooth necklace while fun was being had] and said she was going to "show it to Mom when she gets home and Mom will put it under the pillow"... Nice save. Except Mom forgot. And Mom left Olivia's note to the Faery and the empty bag and some forgotten bills... on the kitchen table.  Very... "Un Faery Like"
The look on Olivia's face as she gathered these bits and pieces that should be neatly tucked under her pillow tied up with a cute ribbon and a fancy note or something. She said,
"Man the tooth Faery must have been in a hurry! but Mom, why wouldn't she have wrote me back?"
So one last time, I had to pull the wool over her eyes.  As she came out from getting ready for school
"Oh Olivia, what's that that fell down under the table?"
She's got me all figured out, I can see it in her eyes.  We are both terrible liars.  But she wanted to believe me so very badly that she wore a huge smile
and let it make her day anyway.
Gosh, I love that kid. :]
All is well. I haphazardly saved the crisis.
She took her note to Show and Tell.
And Sebastian's been asking me to see if his teeth are wiggly all day.

<3>C

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute that you write her notes back! I only remember one tooth instance, and it's when my dad forgot to leave me money! I was so bummed and came downstairs upset, and he sent me back up to get ready for school. When I cam down, he said, 'Oh, i remember the tooth fairy said to look in the living room on the fireplace.' And there was a $5 bill! We usually only got like a dollar or something, so I was happy with it haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is a great memory :]] Sounds just like Tony and I! You do what ya gotta do.. ha!

      Delete