Monday, June 14, 2010

WAKAWAKARUUUSA!
2010


**STS9
**Widespread Panic
**Disco Biscuits
**Umphree’s McGee
**Dweizle Zappa plays Zappa
**JJ Grey & Mofro
**Railroad Earth
**Bluestraveler
**Bassnecter
**EOTO

Just to name a fewww.
I was so excited to come home and write an amazing blog; describing experiences and emotions of each day and each photo captured. I wanted to remember Waka as it was sure to be quite memorable.
The shows were great, the lights were stunning. The sun was hott and the mountain lit up at night with Glo toys and fire. The breeze was warm and refreshing, the showers was a line I was not willing to wait. There was some great people. There was some shitty people….
We arrived in Cass, AR around 3:30AM only to sit in line down a mountain, wait in line at will call, wait in line at security, and wait in line to get into the festival. By 5:30AM it was WAKA time and the excitement, along with sleep deprivation was a trip all its own. After set up adrenaline kept us awake so went went on our first venture. We made a direct line towards the main stage to check out the main stage and set up. We walked maybe a couple hundred yards and Tony says “Man, I wonder if Mo has made it” and pulls out his phone to call her. Same time I was saying “Isn’t that your sister?“ I went the entire festival without seeing some folks I’d like to have seen, and we ran into Monique first thing. Great to see her, been too long. They were still setting up camp so we continued our journey. The first folks we came to were very generous dears from Wisconsin. We chilled with them for the good part of the morning and got a great taste for the life of the weekend. Good friends you immediately connect with. Excitement rising for the shows to come. We decided to try to then get some sleep..Maybe got in two hours and the heat in the tent sent us sprawling in the grass where the sun burned our ass so we were up for the day.
I knew better than to not wear sunscreen… being the whitey I am had to protect that ‘dermis! Still, instead of getting the expected burn.. I developed a horrible heat rash that lasted the remainder of the weekend. The bumps were EVERYWHERE and most were blisters, which looked awful. Yum. [Still have the worst ones on my arm!]
Of course, as festie’s do.. The weekend flew by. Friends and family and sun and naps and live music and fair food and crazy lights and lasers and love….
Every night the stars were incredible. They were bigger and brighter and completely covered the night sky. I saw and appreciated more stars that weekend than I ever have in my life. I felt so small in the world, yet so secure and one. I wished so desperately each night that I had a camera to photograph the magnitude that I saw, the weight of the world lifted and the clear night sky. What a sensation.
We met some amazing people. One, an oldie in the jam scene named Ed. He ran a tent full of great swag and most selection of instruments. Tony has his eye on a carved instrument and we frequented his tent throughout the weekend. On Saturday T was going to give in and buy the wooden whatever-it-is and Ed told us he had sold out, his only one left was not working well, and needed some glue in some spots. He then gave Tony the thing and explained how to fix it, which he could have done himself for 5 bucks and sold it for 60. We stayed and chatted and learned his awesome history. Techie for all the bands we love. Hung out with Jerry and Donna Godcheaux [who’s son was at Waka!]. The stories and experiences he had were amazing..his generosity floored me. He found out it was our honeymoon and insisted he would not let us leave the tent without picking out gifties we wanted, for free. Great vibes from this guy .
Waka was unorganized..but the people working the core of the thing really cared about the people and their experiences. I was impressed with that.
Then Saturday night after WP we went back to the tent to grab some water or something before Umphree’s… being the lame old asses we are, finally baby free and just so excited to sleep! We passed out outside just sitting there.. Apparently at some point tony moved to the blanket spread out on the blanket on the ground and I stumbled to the tent [this I don’t remember..] next thing I know its barely 6AM and tonys freaking out… someone stole his bag that he fell asleep cuddling. Actually spooning a bag and someone had the balls to take it…. Now its not some any old bag [ok, the bag was from walmart!] but the CONTENTS of that bag…oh man. BOTH wallets, cards, id’s, ss cards, insurance, unemployment, over 750 in cash and my BRAND F’ING NEW IPHONE IVE WANTED FOR SO LONG, both cameras, ALL waka memorabilia and sooo much more.
Seriously????
No, SERIOUSLY?!?!?
I want to run away, where no one can find me.
Where no one is around shitty enough to steal my stuff.
What I go to work for day in and day out. 99% of the time you know what I do? I work my ass off. At work, as a manager, as an agent, as an office bitch, as a bounty hunter. Then at the end of the day, I come home and bust my ass as a mom, a maid, a nurse, a cook, a best friend to a 2 year old. Then TINY amount of money I can save up, to combine our BIG trip this summer into our HONEYMOON..gets ripped away. Probably by some drugged out kid who was there for the wrong reasons anyways. It still makes me sick. I know if you know me, I’ve bitched about this enough.. But for real, c’mon, SERIOUSLY? Why does this keep happening to me??? I know I made some STUPID decisions in High School and some in college. I know that I had some skeletons that their karma had definently bit me in the ass, and I LEARNED from it. I wisened up. I grew up. I became the person I WANTED to be. A person I am proud of. An honest, decent, hardworking, loving and FORGIVING person. Only to have this stance tested, time and time and time and TIME again. I don’t know how much I can take. I t makes me want to close off my heart, for fear that there is so little good in the world. I want to distrust all I see and be on constant lookout. But how is that for a lifestyle?? What a shitty way to live. It hurts me, still.
DEAR THEIVES: PLEASE STOP STEALING MY SHIT!!! MORE THAN LIKELY IF YOU ASK FOR IT, I’LL GIVE IT TO YOU.
I’m not sure what all this is supposed to be teaching me, but SURELY my karma is not that bad. I hope I’ll come into some clarity and stop feeling so bummy about this.
ANYWAYS, as you can imagine, that was a true bummer. The festie pretty much ended there for us. Shitty close to what would have been an awesome weekend.
Plus side, holding my baby boy again was incredible, and a high all its own. I love that little man.
Can’t decide, but Harvest Fest is having Keller and the Keels, and I cannot imagine missing it. Yet, I’m so turned off by what we experienced that I’m worried about another fest. We need this to pass!

mah baby and i on the moutain, jammin' in the heat :]

No comments:

Post a Comment